Just last week in our study of Beautiful Girlhood and The Companion Guide to Beautiful Girlhood, we talked about the awakening of the love nature in our little girls. It seems to happen overnight! It seems as though yesterday she was playing with dolls and the next day she has put her Barbie away and is thinking more and more about the real live Ken!
Each family must set its own guidelines for the relationships their daughter will have with young men. And this chapter discusses several ideas for keeping the relationship between teenage girls and boys healthy, pure and innocent. Remember Song of Songs 2:7 reminds us to not “awaken love” until its time! So, instead of giving you a list of things NOT to do to awaken love, check out the Activity portion of this study and gather some of the ideas of what you can do!
I just know you are going to have a memorable time talking to your daughter about this topic! Don’t be afraid of this topic…but rather approach it with confidence! After all, 2 Timothy 1:7 says, “God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.”
Right now, you have the opportunity to influence your daughter’s future opinions, choices, and decisions. Embrace this moment.
Praying for you,
Go on a little date with your hubby and talk to him about how he feels about the following suggestions. Work on a plan together!
1. Group activities are encouraged. Girls and boys can do things as a group and the goal is to have fun…not to pair off!
2. Chaperons are encouraged. I can hear some of you say that this notion sounds like an old-fashioned idea but it still makes sense today! That is why I am such a fan of having my home be the place where my children and their friends hang out. When you are a part of the activity, you have a plethora of opportunities to discuss various situations with your daughter.
3. Friendships with boys as friends are encouraged. These relationships can be so advantageous to our daughters! She can observe the differences between young men who are of good character and those who are not. Mom, instead of cloaking the opposite sex with mystery, embrace the opportunities they present for open frank conversations!
4. Recognize boundaries within the boy and girl friendships. This is a perfect opportunity for you to speak with your daughter about what is appropriate and what is not as far as language, physical contact. At this age, it is a good idea to give the rationale behind the boundaries as It can only help your daughter to better understand and respect the boys she has as friends in her life.
I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.
Ponder and Post
- What are your strategies? Pass on some of the ideas you and your husband have come up. The goal is to help your daughter develop good, godly friendships with young men.
- What are some of the ways you have created a home that has your home become THE place for your children’s peers to hang out?